Jennifer Ash is the author of Private Palm Beach and a contributing editor to Town and Country. She and her family make their home in New York City.
Facts, Tips, and Advice for Dads-to-Be
The definitive parenting book for dads celebrates 20 years!
We are expecting! The twentieth-anniversary edition of this thoroughly updated and revised parenting classic remains the most informative and reassuring book for expectant fathers everywhere. In addition to sharing the wisdom of the ages, Armin A. Brott, Mr. Dad, presents new insight into the emotional, financial, and physical—yes, physical—effects of impending parenthood on men. Thanks to this handy reference moms-to-be will know their partner understands and supports them during this anxious and exciting time, and that he has all the tools he needs to be a fantastic, hands-on dad.
This information-packed, month-by-month guide incorporates the expertise of top practitioners in their fields, from obstetricians and birth-class instructors to psychologists and sociologists. It also draws from Brott’s own experience as a father of three and from the real-world experiences of the thousands of dads he’s interviewed. With the humor of New Yorker cartoons and Brott’s gentle approach, The Expectant Father serves as a friendly and readable companion for dads-to-be seeking confidence, guidance, and joy!
What’s new in this edition of The Expectant Father?
- The latest health and safety info
- How technology is changing fatherhood
- How men's brains change by being involved during pregnancy
- Society’s shifting expectations for dads
- The amazing effects on children when fathers are active partners before birth
- How pre-birth participation makes dads more likely to be active parents post-birth
Updated resources . . . and new research on the big questions that haven't changed much over the years:
- Am I really ready to be a dad?
- How are we going to afford this? How do I balance work and family?
- Will I be able to handle labor and delivery while being there for my partner? What if something goes wrong?
- How will this affect my relationship with my partner?
- Will we ever have sex again?
- What am I supposed to do with a new baby?
- How can I be a good dad?
- Will I ever see my friends again or have any time to myself?
Private Palm Beach
By Jennifer Ash
An intimate glimpse at a score of homes exhibiting a wide range of approaches to living under the tropical sun.
Both old and new money flocks to Palm Beach for "the season", and the houses that line the oceanfront and Intercoastal Waterway exhibit a remarkable range of approaches to living under the subtropical sun. Among the twenty homes that are featured in this lavish volume are those of Dorothy Spreckels Munn and Lilly Pulitzer Rousseau. All the most renowned Palm Beach architects — Addison Mizner, Maurice Fatio, Howard Major, and Belford Shoumate — are represented.
But author Jennifer Ash also takes us off the beaten path to fascinating residences known to natives alone: an artist's bungalow on the bohemian Root Trail, a luxuriously appointed yet fully seaworthy yacht, a cozy retreat in a landmark church. And while relating the gossip-packed history of many of the island's famous residents, she gives us a guided tour of interiors created by both local and world-renowned designers, including David Easton and Juan Pablo Molyneux.
From the rococo splendor of Mar-a-Lago — designed by Joseph Urban for Marjorie Merriweather Post and now owned by Donald Trump — to the ultra-modern chic of a house by Richard Meier, Private Palm Beach affords intimate access to life behind the island's meticulously manicured hedges.